Saturday 1 April 2017

THE ROADSIDE TREE




         Passing by a deserted road  one day,
         My eyes caught sight of a forlorn tree,
         All  dried up sans a single green leaf,
          A picture of deep dismay and grief.

           Lost in the sweet memories of  past, 
          Shedding tears over the present misery,
           Silent but saying volumes sans voice, 
           Pulling all eyes towards its plight. 

              I found myself stopping near it,, 
              Eager to share its untold woes, 
             Asked why it was so despondent, 
            And if I could be of some real help. 

             After a deep sigh, the tree thus began,
             Pouring out  slowly its deep-set gloom, 
           '' Time was when I was strong and  rich,
            Covered with foliage, flowers and fruits, 

               Attracting towards myself everyone,
               Animals and birds and humans,
               I offered shelter to hundreds of birds,
               To nestle and be secure in my folds,  

                Children played all day under me,
                leaving only when darkness  prevailed,
                Tired wayfarers stopped here to rest,
                I offered comfort to everyone in need.

                And  today I stand  here all ignored, 
                Like a beggar sitting by the  road, 
               Whom no one ever pays attention  
               Say, how to feel in this condition? ''

              Trying to console the heart-broken tree, 
              I pointed to the horizon with assurance,
            '' Look! There comes the caravan of Spring,
              Loaded with cheer and happy tidings, 

                 That new leaves are to appear soon,
                 Flowers and fruits will follow in time,
                 Wayfarers too will stop as before,
                 And birds as ever will come to nestle. 

                 Much you suffered but now feel sure,
                 Good days will again be here
                Nature never fails to keep its schedule,
                And Spring will always follow Winter ''





Inspiration---
An oil painting  by Mr Ramesh Chhetri















  

No comments: